The Little Kicks

Who are we when we are alone? This is something I have been pondering, and I'm sure we are the same person as we're any other time, but maybe there are versions of us that the world never gets to see? We each have our own preference for how much we want to be around other people, and how often we need alone time, which I don't think is bad at all, but that it is actually healthy to self-explore and build a peaceful relationship with yourself.

The reason why I started thinking about this is due to two too interesting instances. One day, I saw this lady at a red light in the car next to mine, and she had no passengers with her. Waiting for the green, she was dancing like a maniac, which had me laughing at how much fun she was having. She looked hyped and excited, but how she was able to dance like Elaine Benes in her little Honda, I'll never know. Nextly, there is this nice skatepark in Lathrop that I used to go to all the time, and when I would ride my motorcycle there, I would sing my own music because you can hear yourself so well inside of a motorcycle helmet, and while on the highway, no one else is aware. My sister who has a bike too, turns out, did the exact same thing.

With these occurrences together, they got me thinking: Who are we when we are alone? I brought this question up to loads of people, family, friends, and coworkers, and got some very cool answers. I put together a small collection of some of my favorite responses-

Nearly 100% of everyone I talked to sings extravagantly and dances obnoxiously, and this happens in varying amounts of garb for each person. The next most common activity is that all of us tend to talk aloud when we aren't around other people. Sometimes it's to practice fun accents, practice explaining things to people, getting ready for an argument you know is going to happen, having extended conversations with a 7-foot teddy bear, or even to explore the wide range of sounds we can make with our mouths. Following that, I found a small amount of people who experiment with screaming when no one is around, which I think is out of curiosity of what it sounds like since we don't tend to scream on a day-to-day basis, most of us. One of my favorite answers from a friend, was that he liked to think deeply on abstract and trivial topics, even though he doesn't talk about them much. Although, I'm sure this one goes for everyone, even though only a few brought it up.

Do you think this changes the way you look at people? After all, each one of us is just that, another person trying to understand our self and the universe around us. I chose to explore this topic simply because it's interesting, and not common habit for people to open the windows into their remote life. And one other reason, which I think is a big one, realize that you're not the only one who makes funny faces in front of the bathroom mirror, we are all doing that. There is one thing about this that quite bummed me out: If all of us are dancing and singing pretty much everyday, why don't we just dance together?